The Markup Tools
The Markup tools are those that allow you to add your own information to maps. You can add points, lines, rectangles, polygons, labels, latitude and longitude coordinates, and custom text to your maps for printing. The following Mark up tools are available.
- The Add Point Markup Ttool allows you to draw points on the map. To add a point, make the Add Point to Map tool active, click on the desired map location and a point will be added. Use the tool to add multiple points to your map viewer.
- The Add Line Markup Tool allows users to draw lines on the map. Make the Add Line to Map tool active and click on the map to mark a starting point for your line. Click a second point on the map to draw the line. Add as many segments to the line as you desire and when you are satisfied with your map click OK to add the line to the map. Click the Clear button at anytime to erase your line.
- The Add Rectangle Markup Toolallows you to draw a semi-transparent rectangle on the map. After making the Add Rectangle to Map tool active, click and hold the mouse button down, dragging a box to the desired size of your rectangle, release the mouse button to add the graphic to your view.
- The Add Polygon Markup Tool allows users more flexibility than the rectangle markup tool. Please note that a polygon has to have at least 3 points. Users can draw polygons on the map by clicking once on the map to mark a start/end point for the polygon. Next add at least 2 more points by clicking on the map in the desired location. Once you have finished adding points to your polygon, click the OK button to add it to the map. Click the Clear button at anytime to erase your polygon.
- The Add Text Markup Tool allows users to add text directly to the map. Make the Add Text to Map tool active, and click on your desired location on the map. Type in the text as you want it to appear on the map in the text box, and then click OK to add it to the map. Note that you have the option of selecting the font colour and size for your label.
- The Add Label Markup Tool allows you to automatically label features on the map. Select the Add Label to Map tool and click on a feature that you want to label. A new window will appear in the Information Panel. Select the layer that you want to label and the field from which the text will be taken, then click OK. Note that you have the option of selecting the font colour and size for your label.
- The Add Grid Markup Tool places a grid on the map. Select the tool, and the Information Panel prompts you to specify the number of horizontal and vertical grid cells (up to 10). The grid covers the area of the present map extent, even as you zoom, pan or otherwise navigate around the map.
- The XY Location Markup Tool places a longitude and latitude coordinate on the map. Multiple locations can be added to your map view, and each location is marked with a star.
- The Erase Markup Toolallows you to delete selective markup that you have made on the map. Select the tool and click once on any added text or graphic to erase the selected markup. Click, holding down the mouse, and drag a box around added text or graphics to erase multiple graphics at one time. To erase all of the text and graphics in a map view choose the Clear Selection Tool .
In our exercise we now want to draw a suitable area for the new ploughed field on the map. This area must not be on any of the rare geophytes and not in critically endangered renosterveld vegetation or in any of the Renosterveld priority clusters which cover most of the farm. It should also be near a road so that we don't have to disturb vegetation by building an access road.Choose the tool and digitise on the map where you think the new field should be located. When you are finished digitising click OK.
You can now choose from various options how you wish the polygon to appear on the map.
When you click OK, the polygon appears on the map.We can now draw an access road to the field using the . Digitise on the map a suitable access road. When you are finish click OK and fill in the options for how you want the symbol to appear on the map and click OK.
You map now looks like this.Now we can add some text to our map using the . Click on the map where you want the text to appear and fill in the option and click OK. We now would like to label a feature on the map i.e. the type of vegetation where the new field will be. We can use the . Click on the map where you wish the label to be. Fill in the option in dialogue box the information Panel choosing the layer "Renosterveld Ecosystem Status" and the field VEGNAME. On clicking okay the label appears on the map.